This post is all about should I keep boxes for ornaments? It’s common dilemma when going through your holiday decorations, but there are ways to make storage easier. I’ll help you get organized, determine whether this stack of boxes is essential keeping, and give tips on where to store Christmas ornaments properly so they can remain safe year after year.
Follow me for more tips and hacks on YT @Florencestraka
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost. Please read full disclosure here.
Table of Contents
Is it worth buying special boxes for ornaments?
Investing in special boxes for your ornaments is worth it. These boxes are typically designed with individual compartments to protect each ornament from scratches, breakage, or damage from other environmental hazards.
Moreover, special ornament boxes often include features for easy organization and storage.
For instance, many come with removable trays or adjustable cardboard dividers, allowing you to customize the space for ornaments of different sizes.
This can be particularly useful if your collection includes a mix of delicate heirloom pieces and sturdier, everyday ornaments.
If you’re concerned about preserving your hallmark ornaments in their best condition and making the decorating process more efficient, these original boxes can be worthwhile.
What to Look For When Purchasing an Ornament Storage Box?
1. Durability: Look for ornament storage boxes that are sturdy and durable. These boxes can last many years, protecting your precious ornaments from damage.
2. Adjustable Compartments: Choose boxes that have adjustable compartments.
This feature allows you to customize the space according to the size and shape of your ornaments.
3. Protective Padding: Opt for boxes with protective padding inside each compartment to protect your delicate ornaments. This will help prevent any breakages.
4. Clear View: Consider boxes with a clear view on top or sides. This will help you quickly identify the ornaments without opening every box.
5. Stackable Design: If you have limited storage space, look for boxes designed to be stackable. This feature will help you organize and store your boxes efficiently.
6. Handles for Easy Transport: Boxes that have sturdy handles are more accessible to carry and transport. This is especially useful when moving your boxes to and from storage.
7. Size: Choose a box that can accommodate all your ornaments. If you have more giant-sized ornaments, ensure the box has large compartments.
8. Material: Look for boxes made from materials resistant to moisture, dust, and pests.
This will help ensure your ornaments are kept in the best condition possible.
Benefits of Using Ornament Storage Boxes.
1. Protection: Ornament storage boxes are designed to provide the utmost protection to your holiday decorations.
Their sturdy construction and individual compartments safeguard each piece from potential damage, breakage, or scratches.
2. Organization: These boxes offer an effective solution to keep your ornaments organized perfectly.
With individual compartments for each ornament, there’s no need to worry about tangled hooks or misplaced items.
This also makes the process of decorating and un-decorating much smoother.
3. Preservation: Ornament storage boxes help preserve the quality and lifespan of your decorations.
By protecting your ornaments from dust, moisture, and pests, these boxes ensure your holiday decorations look their best for years to come.
4. Space-Saving: Many ornament storage boxes are stackable, making them a space-saving solution.
This design allows for efficient use of your storage area, whether a closet, garage, attic, or basement.
5. Easy Identification: Some ornament boxes feature clear view tops or sides, allowing you to easily see what’s inside each box without opening it. This feature can save a lot of time when locating a specific ornament.
6. Portability: Ornament boxes often include handles for easy transporting. Caring for your holiday decorations becomes much more convenient when you can comfortably move them to and from your storage area.
Tips for Organization and Maintenance of Ornaments.
1. Keep similar ornaments together: To make decorating more manageable, consider grouping similar ornaments.
For instance, you could group all star-shaped ornaments in one compartment and all bell-shaped ones in another.
2. Clean ornaments before storage: To maintain their lustre and prevent damage, it’s a good idea to clean them before storing them.
Dust and debris can scratch delicate surfaces over time, so ensure they’re clean and dry before putting them away.
3. Consider wrapping delicate ornaments: For exceptionally soft or sentimental ornaments, consider wrapping them in tissue paper or bubble wrap before placing them in their compartments for extra protection.
4. Label your boxes: If you’re using multiple storage boxes, labelling each ornament box according to its contents is helpful.
This makes finding specific ornaments a breeze when it’s time to decorate again.
5. Check your ornaments annually: It’s a good idea to inspect them each year before you put them up.
This will allow you to identify any damage or wear and tear early on and repair or replace items as necessary.
6. Avoid storing ornaments in damp areas: To protect them from damage caused by humidity or temperature fluctuations, avoid storing them in damp areas like the basement or garage. Instead, find a cool, dry place where they will be safe.
7. Rotate your ornaments: To ensure all your ornaments get a chance to shine, try rotating which ones you display each year.
This keeps your decorations fresh and reduces wear and tear on your most frequently used items.
Creative DIY Solutions for Storing Ornaments.
If you’re feeling crafty and prefer a more personalized solution for storing your holiday ornaments, consider several DIY options.
One popular method is utilizing egg cartons or apple trays for delicate, smaller ornaments. Did you know that egg cartons can be a versatile and valuable resource?
By reusing egg cartons instead of throwing them away, you can help reduce waste and contribute to a more sustainable future.
Egg cartons can be used for a variety of purposes, from organizing small items to starting seedlings for your garden.
So why not give egg cartons a second life and make a positive impact on the environment?
These compartments provide perfect nesting spots for ornaments, preventing them from knocking into each other.
Another option is to repurpose wine boxes with dividers. These boxes are ideal for larger ornaments that require extra space.
You could also sew or craft your own storage boxes with fabric and cardboard for a more aesthetic appeal.
Decorate them according to your taste, add labels, and you have created an attractive storage solution that matches your home decor.
Finally, hanging ornaments in a dedicated closet on sturdy hangers can be an innovative and space-saving solution for those with limited storage space.
Remember, DIY storage solutions aim to provide protection while maintaining accessibility for your beloved ornaments.
Alternatives to Ornament Storage Boxes and Other Ideas for Decoration Storage.
While ornament storage boxes are a popular and efficient way to store your treasured holiday decorations, they are not the only option.
Plastic containers can also offer a convenient and cost-effective storage solution.
Coupled with dividers, they can protect and separate your glass ornaments, deterring potential damage.
Another alternative is using zip-lock bags. They are ideal for smaller, non-fragile ornaments and allow for easy viewing of their contents.
If you have a sturdy, non-breakable ornaments collection, consider using a simple cardboard box with wrapping paper or newspaper acting as dividers.
For wreaths, specialized wreath storage containers or a simple, sturdy plastic bag can help maintain their shape and freshness.
Garment bags can be repurposed to house taller or larger decorations like artificial Christmas trees.
Moreover, pay attention to everyday items like coffee cans, plastic cups, or egg cartons, as they can be an unexpected but effective way to store your ornaments.
Remember always to keep these containers in a cool, dry place to ensure the longevity of your decorations.
Are there any tips for keeping boxes organized?
Keeping your ornament boxes organized is crucial for easy access and efficient storage. Here are a few tips:
1. Label each box clearly: Use large, bold labels to identify the contents of each box. You could categorize by ornament type, color, or any other system that makes sense.
2. Use color-coding: To make identification even easier, consider a color-coding system.
For example, use red labels for boxes containing tree ornaments and green labels for those with outdoor decorations.
3. Stack intelligently: Place the boxes you’ll need first at the top of your stack and those you’ll need later at the bottom.
This way, you won’t have to rummage through all your boxes to find what you need.
4. Leave pathways: If you’re storing boxes in a small space, remember to leave pathways for easy access. You don’t want to move many boxes to get to one at the back.
5. Regularly declutter: Each year, take some time to go through your boxes and get rid of any ornaments that are broken, worn out, or no longer needed. This will free up space and make organization simpler.
This post was all about whether Should I keep boxes for ornaments?
Before you go…
Should I keep boxes for ornaments? Keeping boxes for ornaments is indeed a practical and efficient choice.
It not only ensures the safety of your treasured decorations but also aids in maintaining their aesthetic appeal.
By adopting a system of careful labeling and strategic organization, you can turn the often daunting task of ornament storage into a stress-free post-holiday routine.
Other Posts You May Like:
Thank you for spending your time with me today and let’s keep in touch…