Colorado Christmas is an ideal destination if you’re seeking a captivating winter getaway in the mountains. It’ll immerse you in the magic and wonder of a snowy holiday season.
As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost.
Follow me for more tips and hacks on YT @Florencestraka
Our list of must-have essentials for a first-timer celebrating Christmas in Colorado: Colorado winter travel tips!
Warm winter coat – You’ll need a good, insulated winter coat rated for very cold temperatures. Like the one we recommended below:
Look for one with a hood as well. Temperatures can drop below freezing in Colorado during December.
Thermal base layers – Pack some wool or synthetic thermal underwear to wear as a base layer under your clothes. This will help you stay warm.
Hat, scarf, gloves – Be sure to bring winter accessories to cover your head, neck and hands. The mountain air can be quite cold.
Sunglasses – The sun reflects brightly off the snow so sunglasses are needed.
Chapstick/lip balm – Keep lips protected with chapstick. The dry mountain air can cause chapped lips.
Hand/foot warmers – Small heat packs that help warm your hands and feet can come in handy if you plan to be outside for long periods.
Snow pants – For playing in the snow, waterproof snow pants help keep you warm and dry. Snowshoeing may require snow pants too.
Snow boots or traction devices – If hiking, you may need sturdy snow boots or you can use traction devices that strap onto your regular shoes.
Sunscreen – The sun’s rays can still damage exposed skin in the winter. Bring SPF 30 or greater.
This post is all about Colorado Christmas adventure!
Our best activities to do in Colorado during the Christmas season:Printable
- Visit Denver’s Mile High Holiday Market – This large European-style market features vendors selling gifts, food, drinks and more. There’s also entertainment and festive lights.
- Go ice skating – Outdoor ice skating rinks can be found in many Colorado towns. Popular spots are in downtown Denver, Vail, Beaver Creek, and Steamboat Springs.
- Attend a holiday light display – Drive or walk through amazing neighborhood light displays like the Blossoms of Light in Denver Botanic Gardens or the Parade of Lights in downtown.
- Ride the Polar Express train – This immersive train ride to the “North Pole” features hot chocolate, cookies, carols and a reading of The Polar Express book.
- Go skiing or snowboarding – Hit the slopes at one of Colorado’s world-class ski resorts like Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge or Telluride.
- Try a sleigh ride – Glide through the snowy landscape on a one-horse open sleigh for a nostalgic experience. Many ranches and resorts offer rides.
- Hike in the snow – Trek through the peaceful woods on snowshoes or cross-country skis. Great winter hiking spots include Rocky Mountain National Park.
- Soak in a natural hot spring – Melt away your worries at steamy hot springs like Glenwood Springs.
- Celebrate an old- fashioned Christmas – Visit a historic town like Georgetown for carolers, roast chestnuts, Victorian decor and more.
Colorado is famous for its picturesque landscapes and year-round outdoor activities, but it truly shines during the winter season when it transforms into a winter wonderland.
For things to do in colorado for Christmas, any thing from hitting the slopes to ice skating to soaking in a hot spring, there is something for everyone in this winter wonderland.
Whether you’re a seasoned skier or just looking for a cozy cabin retreat, Christmas event in Colorado offers a magical experience that will leave you with treasured memories for years.
What is Christmas in Colorado?
There’s no better way to enjoy the holiday season than by spending Christmas in Colorado.
This beautiful state offers a unique blend of natural beauty and festive Christmas cheer.
I’ve heard people also talk about Christmas in aspen colorado which left a lasting memory for them.
Colorado christmas vacation is all about enjoying the outdoors. With its snowy peaks and rugged terrain, Colorado is ideal for winter activities like skiing, snowboarding, and ice fishing.
You can also take a scenic drive up to the mountains to enjoy breathtaking views of the Rocky Mountains.
Whether you’re looking for a cozy getaway or an adventurous escape, there’s always something in store for everyone in this gorgeous Rocky Mountain state.
What are the best activities to do in Colorado during the Christmas season?
No matter what you choose to do during the Christmas season in Colorado, it’s sure to be an unforgettable experience.
With world-class skiing and snowboarding, ice skating, shopping, holiday lights, and festive events, there is something for everyone in the Centennial State this magical time of year.
Skiing and Snowboarding
Skiing or snowboarding is one of the best activities in Colorado during the Christmas season.
With many world-class ski resorts located throughout the state, there are plenty of great places to hit the slopes.
From beginner runs to challenging black diamonds, there is something for everyone in Colorado.
Plus, with some of the best powder in the country, it’s a great time to enjoy some winter sports.
Another fun activity to do during the Christmas season in Colorado is ice skating.
Whether you prefer outdoor rinks or indoor arenas, there are plenty of places across the state where you can lace up your skates and spin around the ice. Plus, it’s a great way to get into the Christmas spirit.
Christmas shopping in Colorado can be an unforgettable experience. From bustling downtowns like Denver and Boulder to quaint mountain towns like Aspen and Vail, Colorado has something for everyone regarding holiday shopping.
Related post on vail colorado Christmas a must read on all tips and fun activities you don’t want to miss!
From unique boutiques to high-end retailers, there are plenty of places to find that perfect gift for someone special this Christmas season.
Christmas lights in colorado, there are no shortages of spectacular holiday light displays during the Christmas season.
From twinkling festive lights on downtown streets to elaborate displays at local parks and zoos, there are plenty of ways to get into the festive spirit while enjoying all Colorado has to offer this time of year.
There’re Christmas events in colorado throughout December, many cities and towns across Colorado host festive events for locals and visitors alike.
Christmas lighting colorado from parades and the annual tree lighting ceremony to concerts and craft fairs, there are plenty of opportunities for fun family activities throughout the month to help you get into the holiday spirit.
What types of winter lodging are available in the Rocky Mountains?
When finding the perfect winter accommodations, Colorado Christmas in the Rocky Mountains has something for everyone.
Cabins in colorado for Christmas whether you’re looking for a luxurious lodge or a cozy cabin, plenty of options are available.
- Luxury Hotels: Enjoy all the comforts of home and world-class amenities at one of the many exclusive hotels in the Rocky Mountains.
- Ski Resorts: Take advantage of the many ski resorts available in the area, offering slopes for all levels of experience and plenty of amenities to keep you cozy during your stay.
- Cabins: For a more rustic getaway, check out one of the many cabins located throughout the Rockies. Enjoy stunning views and plenty of outdoor activities during your stay.
- Bed & Breakfasts: Looking for something a little more intimate? Check out the quaint bed and breakfasts in the Rocky Mountains, offering a tranquil atmosphere and home-cooked meals.
- Camping: If you’re looking for an authentic outdoor experience, consider camping in one of the many campgrounds located throughout Colorado.
Enjoy breathtaking views and plenty of outdoor activities to keep you busy.
Are there any Christmas-specific events or attractions in Colorado?
For things to do in colorado for Christmas, there are numerous Christmas-specific events and attractions in Colorado add to the charm of a winter getaway.
One of the highlights is the Denver Christkindlmarket, a festive outdoor market boasting German and European traditions, where you can shop for handmade crafts and savor delicious food and hot spiced wine.
You’ll also love the annual Blossoms of Light at the Denver Botanic Gardens, a dazzling display of over a million colorful lights.
Christmas in colorado springs, if you’re in Colorado Springs, take advantage of the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo’s Electric Safari, featuring 85 light sculptures on over 50 acres.
For an unforgettable Colorado Christmas experience, ride on the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad’s Polar Express, a magical journey that recreates the classic children’s book and movie.
Each event fosters a unique and vibrant holiday spirit, making your Colorado Christmas special.
How to get the most out of a Colorado Christmas
- Take advantage of the winter activities available for a Colorado Christmas. Go snowshoeing, skiing, ice skating, or even try sledding.
- Enjoy some of the delicious cuisine restaurants offer in Colorado’s ski towns and mountain villages. Sample local favorites like Rocky Mountain oysters or a bowl of fresh green chili stew.
- Travel to nearby locales for a change of scenery. Spend the day exploring Rocky Mountain National Park or take a scenic drive down the Million Dollar Highway.
- Get off the beaten path and explore some of Colorado’s hidden gems. Visit the ghost towns in South Park, trek up Mount Evans, or ride a horse-drawn sleigh through picturesque forests and meadows.
- Embrace the holiday spirit and visit some of Colorado’s festive events.
Make a trip to Santa Claus Workshop in the nearby North Pole, attend one of the many Christmas markets across the state, or participate in a lantern parade at Estes Park.
- Relax and unwind with an après ski soak at one of Colorado’s hot springs or cuddle up next to a cozy fire with hot cocoa.
- Immerse yourself in the magical winter wonderland of Colorado’s alpine towns and villages.
Take a stroll through snow-covered streets, admire festive decorations, and breathe in the crisp mountain air.
- Bring your camera and snap some memorable photos of your Colorado Christmas adventure!
From majestic snow-capped peaks to glittering winter lights, Colorado is a winter paradise that will keep you returning year after year.
Unique Ways to Experience Winter in the Rockies
- Take a snowshoe tour of the Rockies: There’s no better way to truly experience winter in the Rockies than by taking an organized snowshoeing expedition.
You’ll be able to traverse through pristine meadows and towering peaks while gaining insight into the unique wildlife that inhabits the region.
- Explore local ski resorts: Colorado is home to some of the best ski resorts in the country.
With various terrain for all skill levels, you can get your adrenaline fix while taking in breathtaking views from atop one of the Rockies’ many peaks.
- Visit hot springs: Colorado is home to numerous natural hot springs. Snuggle up with a loved one and soak away your stress surrounded by stunning Christmas mountain views.
- Visit a Christmas tree farm: Head to one of Colorado’s many Christmas tree farms and pick out the perfect one to take home!
- Go sledding or tubing: What better way to make memories than by going sledding or tubing down the Rockies’ rolling hills?
You can also try snowmobiling for an even more thrill-seeking experience.
- Enjoy a snow day: If you’re looking for something more laid back, why not just stay in and enjoy a day of snow-filled activities?
Build a snowman with your entire family or have a snowball fight; there’s no limit to the fun you can have on a Colorado Christmas.
Must-try restaurants in Colorado during the holidays.
The Fort is a unique restaurant in Morrison, Colorado, that serves traditional Native American cuisine.
The restaurant has been open since 1963 and is renowned for its rustic atmosphere and delicious food.
The Fort offers a unique holiday menu that includes dishes such as bison prime rib, elk tenderloin, and wild boar chops during the holidays.
Fruition Restaurant is located in Denver, Colorado, and specializes in seasonal New American cuisine.
The restaurant has an ever-changing menu featuring locally sourced ingredients from farms throughout Colorado.
During the holidays, Fruition offers an exclusive holiday-tasting menu featuring roasted duck breast with cranberry compote and chestnut stuffing with sage gravy.
Frasca Food & Wine
Frasca Food & Wine is located in Boulder, Colorado, and specializes in Italian-inspired cuisine, focusing on local ingredients.
The restaurant has won numerous awards for its sophisticated yet approachable fare. Frasca offers an exclusive holiday-tasting menu that features dishes.
Such as braised pork shoulder with porcini mushrooms and grilled quail with honey-roasted figs and saba glaze.
Rioja is located in Denver, Colorado, and specializes in modern Mediterranean cuisine with influences from Spain, Italy, Morocco, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Tunisia, Algeria, and more.
They offer an exclusive holiday prix fixe menu, including lamb shank tagine with dried fruit couscous and saffron-roasted chicken with root vegetables.
Before you go…
Colorado has become a winter getaway destination for many from within and outside the U.S.
The majestic Rocky Mountains provide an unparalleled experience surrounded by powdery snow-filled valleys and breathtaking mountain vistas throughout winter.
And with various activities, there’s something for everyone, from the novice explorer just getting started to the most seasoned mountaineer.
Not to mention the top-notch culinary experiences awaiting you in the Colorado Winter wonderland – no matter if you’re looking for fine dining or hearty comfort food.
So make sure to give yourself a break this winter season and take that trip out west to the Colorado Rockies for a well-deserved Colorado christmas vacation away from everyday life.
Read our next article on Vail Colorado Christmas for more explended things to do in Vail Calorado!
This post was all about best Colorado Christmas things, places and activities to enjoy!
Other Posts You May Like:
Thank you for spending your time with me today and let’s keep in touch…
Is Colorado a good place for Christmas?
Indeed! Colorado is a great place to visit during the winter season, especially if you want to experience the beauty of the Rocky Mountains.
Whether you’re looking for outdoor activities or a cozy getaway, there’s something for everyone in Colorado during Christmas time.
What is Christmas like in Colorado?
Ah, Colorado in the winter. There’s nothing quite like it! The snow-capped Rocky Mountains are stunning, and the crisp, cold air is refreshing. And what better way to experience all this than during a Christmas getaway?
A Colorado Christmas offers so much for everyone – from outdoor activities and holiday-themed attractions to traditional holiday events and celebrations.
What’s the most Christmassy town in Colorado?
If you’re looking for a winter getaway to make your Christmas holiday even more magical, look no further than the Rocky Mountains of Colorado.
This stunning area is home to some of the most picturesque towns and villages in the US, and each has its unique charm when it comes to celebrating Christmas.